This isn’t the kind of video I usually make. I usually opt for something more fun or humorous. But we need to talk about mental health. And when you live in a country with a high suicide rate, it’s not really a laughing matter.
This video is about a terrible experience I had with an American counselor in Tokyo. It still baffles me how this person is allowed to practice to this day, given that his behavior is offensive and questionably legal.
Continue reading Mental Health Counseling in Japan: A Horror Story
Here are some Japanese words and expressions you can use on your next salon visit. Feel free to leave questions in the comment section below.
- カット (katto) – cut
- カラー (karā) – color
- グラデーション (guradēshon) – gradation
- ワンメーク (wanmēku) – one color dye
- ダブルカラー (daburu karā) – bleach + color
- リタッチ (ritacchi) – retouch; dyeing only the roots
- ハイライト (hairaito) – highlights
- ローライト (rōraito) – lowlights
- エクステ (ekuste) – extensions
- トリートメント (torītomento) – treatment
- パーマ (pāma) – perm
- デジタルパーマ (dejitaru pāma) – digital perm, often abbreviated as dejipāma
- エアウェーブ (ea wēbu) – a type of perm that produces looser curls
- ポイントパーマ (pointo pāma) – perming a part of one’s hair, like the fringe for example
- 縮毛矯正 (shukumōkyōsei) – hair straightening
- ヘアセット (hea setto) – hair set (when you want to have your hair done professionally before an event or a shoot)
- メイク (meiku) – make-up
- シャンプー (shampū) – shampoo
- ブロー (burō) – blow dry
Continue reading Useful Japanese Words for Going to a Hair Salon
When it comes to beauty and relaxation services, Japan does not disappoint. If you want to get a haircut, get your nails done, or get a massage, there are plenty of places to choose from. More often than not, however, walk-ins are not accepted and making a reservation is a must.
Reservations can usually be done by phone or online. In my case, I use a website/app called “Hot Pepper Beauty.” This service allows me to browse listed salons and look for them by area, service, or keyword. If I’m in a hurry to get something done, I can also search for salons that have open slots for the same or the following day.
Needless to say, it is a very useful website. It’s unfortunately not (yet?) in English, but have no fear. The instructions below take you through creating an account.
Continue reading How to Create a Hot Pepper Beauty Account